Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Info Post
ARCA Blog Editor Catherine Schofield Sezgin with ARCA Intern Molly Cotter:

What is your education, related work experience, and your role with ARCA?
I'm Molly Cotter, a Detroit native living and working in New York. I studied Art History and Museum studies at Michigan State University and continued my studies with the Masters in Art Business and Connoisseurship program at Christie's auction house NY. I've since worked for Christie's, the Detroit Institute of Art, and a private art gallery. I am here this summer to work on marketing and fundraising for the program. We are going to boost our membership services and get even more people excited about this amazing program.
What area of art crime do you enjoy following (reading, researching)?
Molly: I'm most interested in forgeries and the more scientific ways of detecting them. A connoisseur can know attribute a painting with a good trained eye, but a connoisseur can also be mistaken. I think the technological devices used to attribute paintings (black light, x-ray, carbon dating, etc) and the fact that they are often considered after a connoisseur's opinion is fascinating.
My favorite place to sit in Amelia is the patio of Bar Leonardi. Do you have a favorite place?
Molly: I've never been to Italy before so all of Amelia is incredible to me. I've been wide-eyed since the moment the plane landed in Rome, really. I love wandering around inside the city walls. I have yet to find a place to call my own, but I have a feeling it will involve gelato...
When I first went to Amelia in 2009, I was astounded by the cleanliness of the town and the beauty of the views of the surrounding countryside. What was your initial impression of Amelia?
Molly: My initial impression of Amelia was when we pulled up in a cab and I thought to myself "oh I should start walking since cars obviously can't fit...ohhh here we go, he's actually driving, oh gosh!" I've been explaining it to friends back home as a small beautiful old town with cobblestone San Francisco streets. I could walk around (and get some exercise) all day!
What are your expectations for this summer?
Molly: I'm expecting a great summer. I look forward to working hard with the other interns on our projects, preparing for the conference, and of course, having some fun in and out of Amelia.
And, of course, Amelia has lots of venues for live music. Do you play an instrument or sing?
Molly: Does karaoke count?

0 comments:

Post a Comment